My brief bio...

I used to co-write a blog, "East and West Running" at www.eastandwestrunning.blogspot.com...click on the various links to see some of the early entries from 2010 to 2012 when I first learned how to run and then first learned how to ride a bike as I was based in Canada and my co-blogger was based in Malaysia.

I fell off the blogging wagon since somewhere around 2014 or 2015, but I'm getting back on so that I can track my #fitoverforty journey back into fitness...

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

First 10km Run in Months!

Two loser condom heads getting ready for a run!
Joy here...Back in the winter I was planning on running a fast half marathon this spring (May 2012) and then a full marathon this fall (September 2012), but in March of this year (2012), I fractured my little toe, which doesn't seem like a big thing, but meant that I couldn't run.  So I got on my bike, and, well, I kinda didn't get off my bike all summer--completing something like 7 time trials, 1 bunch bike race, and 2 sportif events--and my running all but disappeared.

I've slowly but surely started to get some running back into my life, trying for a once-a-week kinda casual run with The Man, and yesterday we got out there for a 65minute run, over 10kms, something I haven't done since February (some 9 months ago!).

Runnin' on the grass before the snow comes!
I remember when I first learned how to run (only 5 years ago), it took me months and months (something like 7 months), to be able to run 60minutes without stopping for a walk break.  Working up to being able to run 10kms was a tremendous feat in and of itself, and I never thought I would need to or want to run more or longer.

But now I've done some longer running races and some bike races, and my perspective has changed.  Now I am able to head out there and run for over 10kms without really thinking about it.  Sure my feet started to ache by the end; sure my legs were sore afterwards; and sure I huffed and puffed as I ran in the cold autumn air, but the point is, I did it.  And more than that, I realize that as much fun as I've been having with the cycling, I also miss the running.  I want to find a way to have them both.

They both give me different kinds of feelings, making me feel confident and powerful in the world, and I need those feelings to translate from my sporting life over into the rest of my life where I can sometimes feel paralyzed by fears of my own incompetence.

So from here on in, I'm going to try to do my best to train as a cyclist AND a runner and see where that takes me.  Maybe I can do both...and maybe, just maybe, one day I'll become a triathlete...hmmm, now I just have to find a pool. ;)

Over and out,
Joy

Run Stats:
Ran for 65minutes for just over 10kms.


No comments:

Post a Comment